What: This is an annual research competition held during the spring semester for all CWRU undergraduates who have conducted research at CWRU which is biologically related.
When: May 6, 2021
Application Deadline: April 8, 2021
The competition honors the collaborative research initiated in 1885 between Albert A. Michelson, a Case physicist, and Edward W. Morley, a Western Reserve Chemist, which culminated in the Michelson-Morley experiment of 1887. This experiment negated the ether theory of space and constituted some of the experimental findings basic to Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity. This program is supported by the Department of Biology.
To apply for the competition students must:
- Write a paper in the form of a journal article on your biological, biochemical, biopsychological, or biomedical research carried out at any institution in 2020 or 2021.
- Fill out an entry form. Click here to download: Michelson-Morley-Application-2021
- Submit all materials to the biology office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by April 8, 2021 (Please include the submission of your paper)
- Apply for the SOURCE Symposium. If accepted to present at Michelson-Morley you will also be credited with SOURCE (but you must apply). Application online at https://case.edu/source/share-your-work/present-intersections
- Prepare a 10 minute PowerPoint Presentation on your research for the oral competition held May 6, 2021
- Not all Michelson-Morley applicants are assured a public presentation.
The finalists selected will give oral presentations on May 6, 2021. A panel of faculty and graduate student judges will determine the winners.
$300 First Prize
$200 Second Prize
$100 Third Prize
For additional information contact Katie Bingman at (216) 368-4301 or email@example.com , Department of Biology, DeGrace Hall, room 207.