The following requirements are expected of all applicants to the Department of Biology graduate degree programs:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in one of the sciences (four-year degree). International students with less than the U.S. equivalent of a four-year degree that have taken additional coursework should contact a credentialing service to evaluate your credentials.
- Acceptance by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Department of Biology.
- Acceptance by the Graduate School of the university.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5, with a grade point average of at least 2.9 in the sciences.
- Submission of test scores from the Graduate Record Examination TOEFL scores required for international students). Specify institution code 1105 and department code 0203 to have your scores reported to the Department of Biology. General GRE required, no minimum score; TOEFL score requirements: Internet based test (iBT) 90; Paper based test (PBT) 577 minimum. The International English Language Testing System minimum acceptable score of 7.0. Official scores must be sent.
If a candidate does not meet the departmental and university requirements for admission, the Graduate Admissions Committee may recommend that the student be accepted under a provisional status and specify the requirements for conversion of status to good standing.
- Your application is composed of the following:
- Application Part A
- Statement of Objectives: 1–2 pages stating your purpose in undertaking graduate work and an explanation of your study and research interests as they relate to graduate study and professional goals within in the realm of the biology departments research programs. Identify specific faculty members that you feel most in line with your interests. Statements should be clear and concise (not general), program specific. Incorporating the faculty research into your statement is most helpful.
- Official Academic Transcripts: All post-secondary educational institutions you have attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- $50.00 application fee (non-refundable)
- Test Scores: GRE for all students; TOEFL for international students. (Institution code = 1105; department code = 0203). General GRE required.
Students seeking admission into our PhD program must identify faculty of interest.
December15th for full consideration. No rolling admissions into MS Plan A (thesis), MS Plan B (coursework), PhD
Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Program Application Deadline
International Prospective Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Students – April 1 – Domestic Prospective Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Students – August 15th