The following requirements are expected of all applicants to the Department of Biology graduate degree programs:
- Bachelor’s degree (typically a four-year degree), preferably with a major in sciences. International students with less than the U.S. equivalent of a four-year degree yet have taken additional coursework should contact a credentialing service to evaluate your credentials.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (out of a 4.0 scale)
- Prior research and/or teaching experience in the field of biological sciences or a relevant field
- International applicants should demonstrate English proficiency
Final candidates must be accepted by both the Department of Biology Graduate Admissions Committee and the School of Graduate Studies
If a candidate does not meet the departmental and university requirements for admission, the Graduate Admissions Committee may recommend that the student be accepted under a provisional status and specify the requirements for conversion of status to good standing.
Applications to the Department of Biology graduate degree programs are submitted online. Choose “College of Arts and Sciences” and “Biology” for program details. Applicants for the MS Plan A program should choose the “Thesis” option. Applicants for the MS Plan B program should choose the “Project/Comprehensive Exam” option. Applicants for the Entrepreneurial Biotechnology MS program should choose the “Thesis” option and specify (check “Yes”) that you are applying for the Entrepreneurship track.
- Application Questions: Answer general application questions online
- Statement of Objectives: 1–2 pages document that addresses your research experience and academic goals. Describe why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in our program and which professors you would like to work with as your research advisors. Statements should be clear and concise, specific to the program you wish to apply. Students seeking admission into our PhD program are strongly recommended to check current faculty research activities and identify faculty of interest.
- Transcripts: Upload copies of transcripts onto the application. Unofficial copies are OK. Official transcripts are required only if you are accepted.
- Three letters of recommendation
- $50.00 application fee (non-refundable)
- Test Scores for International Applicants: 90 TOEFL iBT or 7.0 IELTS. Test scores are valid for two years. Report scores to the online application. Once accepted, candidates must submit official language scores. The language test requirement may be waived if you are from an English-speaking area or have completed a degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction.
- GRE is NOT required.
For more information about the application process, please contact Dr. Ryan Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the School of Graduate Studies
December 15th for full consideration into PhD, MS Plan A (thesis), and MS Plan B (non-thesis).
Entrepreneurial Biotechnology (EB) Program Rolling Application Deadlines
International EB Applicants – April 1st; Domestic EB Applicants- August 1st